USDA-RD Rental Assistance Program For Disabled And Elderly

USDA-RD Rental Assistance Program
USDA-RD Rental Assistance Program For Disabled And Elderly

Get Assistance With 30 Percent Of Your Rent! #USDA-RD #rentalassistance #disabled #elderly #ruralmoney #money

The USDA-RD rental assistance program provides subsidies to ensure low-income disabled and elderly tenants pay no more than 30 percent of their income.

Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate; therefore, this post may contain affiliate links for me to earn a commission. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to

Some of Rural Development’s portfolio of other rental and housing assistance programs and resources offered includes the following:

  • Rural Rental Housing Loans are available, which help to finance the construction of additional rental housing for low to moderate-income families and individuals;
  • Grants for cooperative housing for the disabled and elderly;
  • Housing Preservation Grants intended to provide assistance to rural communities, to help modernize and improve the quality of housing units and multi unit rental standards.

All of these resources are focused on providing affordable housing to low-income families and individuals who live in rural towns.

The various programs and USDA leveraged resources include:

  • HOME Funds
  • Various tax credits
  • Housing grants
  • Housing Trust Funds
  • Other federal government rental assistance

All of this is done in an effort to accomplish its goal to provide decent, safe, affordable and sanitary housing to the less fortunate.

And, this is done primarily in rural areas.

Wherever the need exists for affordable rental housing for families, the USDA-RD rental assistance program helps play a key role.


By aiding low-income disabled and elderly tenants and families with making their rent payments on time.

USDA-RD Rental Assistance Program Eligibility

As part of this program, those who qualify for help are generally individuals or families with very low or nonexistent income.

They include senior citizens, the working poor with low incomes, elderly, and persons with disabilities.

One of the key conditions is an applicant cannot pay standard monthly rent with only 30 percent of their adjusted monthly income.

The USDA-RD rental assistance program provides an additional source of support for low-income households.

The USDA-RD will pay the owner, landlord or property manager of a multi-family housing complex the difference between what the tenant can afford to pay.

Usually, it is 30 percent of income.

In addition, the total monthly rental rate is established by the apartment owner.

While each state may establish regions that are covered by the USDA-RD rent program, they will allow this program to operate in towns that have less than 10,000 people living in them.

Or, in some cases a town of up to 25,000 residents may be eligible if they are far from a major city.

However, these rules can change by state and may be altered at the national level.

USDA-RD Rental Assistance Program Payments

The cash assistance is not provided directly to the family or individual.

The monthly rental payment that is paid from the government will be in the form of a voucher.

Moreover, it will be provided directly to the landlord or apartment owner.

The amount provided will be based on what a fair rent should be for that part of the state.

Therefore, the program will not pay for an individual to live in very expensive housing.

All housing units need to also be considered safe and pass inspection.

Last year, the federal government provided over $900 million dollars in subsidies and vouchers to low-income families and seniors who live in rural towns or cities.

This included almost 300,000 families.

As a consequence, it allowed them to live in safe, multi-family housing units or apartments.

It brought down their monthly rental payments to much more affordable levels.

To learn more or apply, you can contact a local USDA Rural Development field office.

Related Guide: Rental Subsidies