5 Best Ways To Sell Handmade And Creative Jewelry Online
Handmade Jewelry Has Uniqueness That Manufactured Jewelry Lacks!
The best ways to sell handmade jewelry online is a great way to be both creative and run your own business niche from home.
Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate; therefore, this post may contain affiliate links for me to earn a commission. RuralMoney.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
After creating something you’re happy with, someone else has seen its appeal and chosen to pay money for it.
What could be better?
Once upon a time, you’d have had to spend a lot of time setting up your stall in craft markets and fairs to sell handmade items, but now you can do it all online.
While marketplaces like Etsy have made it easier than ever for artists and craftsmen to sell their handmade items, you still need to put effort into marketing your store and planning logistics, including deliveries and returns.
Here are five success tips for how to sell handmade jewelry online.
1. Explore Different Marketplaces
Etsy is easily the most well-known marketplace for selling handmade items online.
As home to more than two million sellers and over 39 million active buyers, the platform provides your store with exposure, as well as built in tools for marketing and analytics.
The high number of sellers, however, means that you’ll have a lot of competition when trying to attract new customers.
Fortunately, Etsy isn’t the only option.
Selling on other marketplaces both increases your reach and provides you with a better chance to stand out from the crowd.
Other marketplaces for selling your handmade items include:
- Craft is Art is based in Las Vegas in the US. Most of the customers are American, but it also serves European shoppers and enables international sales.
- Bonanza sells only fashion, collectibles, and art items. Sales fees are low and its reputation is growing, so it’s a good time to open a Bonanza store.
- ShopHandmade is a free marketplace for selling anything you made yourself, but it doesn’t have a lot of seller features, so you’ll need to find your own marketing and analytics tools.
- Zibbet lets you begin with the free plan and then upgrade when you’re ready. Combined with its advanced tools for synchronizing all your shopping channels (like Facebook, Pinterest, and Zibbet), it’s a good choice for beginner sellers.
- ArtFire is a marketplace-come-community. You can ask for advice on marketing your homemade crafts online and manage your online store, in the same place.
- Amazon Handmade is a marketplace where you can reach millions of customers in the Artisan-only community and sell your handcrafted goods online. Amazon has a Best Sellers category in this niche.
- Facebook Marketplace is where you can buy or sell new and used items easily on Facebook Marketplace, locally or from businesses. Find great deals on new items shipped from stores to your door.
Number of Active Etsy Sellers from 2012 to 2018 (in 1,000)
2. Raise Your Presence on Social Media
Social media is the biggest and most successful way to market and sell handmade items online.
There are plenty of channels for you to share pictures of your work, give customers a peek behind the scenes by posting videos and make connections with potential customers and influencers.
Platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest are also already popular sales channels.
All three of them support direct sales, thanks to shoppable Instagram posts, shoppable Pins, and Facebook sales, so you can start selling homemade goods online even before you open an online store.
3. Add a Blog
Creating a blog is one of best ways to market your product line.
If writing is not your preferred method for marketing your store, video blogs are a great alternative.
Ideally, a combination of the two should be used.
Blogging can help you:
- Boost your SEO, making it easier for your items to pop up high on search engine results pages.
- Drive traffic to your online store.
- Instill trust in your store. Blogs focusing on topics like “Choosing the Right Necklace for Each Outfit” encourages people to buy from you, because they trust your advice.
- Take advantage of seasonal shopping trends with posts focusing on specific events, e.g., “Best Ways to Decorate Your Home for Halloween.”
- Encourage repeat business. Continuously blogging helps ensure that your customers remember your store the next time they need to buy handmade goods.
4. Make Your Goods Look Good
When selling online, how you present your items can often be the difference between making a sale or not.
Take plenty of high-resolution images to make your products stand out.
People like to be able to imagine how they’ll use and wear your handmade items, so include photos of a model wearing your jewelry or your throw on a couch.
You should use your product images in many places, including your online store, social media posts and your blog.
5. Get Comfortable With SEO
Whenever shoppers search for something on Google, Etsy or another search engine, they’ll see results that are the best match for their search.
You want to use keywords and search phrases that match up well to the search queries that your customers write, a process known as search engine optimization (SEO).
SEO means taking the time to use tools like Google Keyword Planner to research the most popular keywords for your handmade items.
Try to find phrases that have high monthly search volume, but low prices on Google ads.
You can also try entering the first word of a phrase in the search bar on Etsy or Google or other search engine, and then see what words it uses to autocomplete.
Use SEO keywords everywhere, including in headings, blog content, product listings, social media posts and meta descriptions.
Success in the handmade marketplace is typically based on your ability to leverage synergy across a few specific business strategies, including selecting the right product platform, building impactful promotional strategies and integrating high-quality images.
Online sellers should focus on these strategic factors to sell well as an independent shop owner.
Rural Money Tip: Read 8 Best Rural Money Blogging Resources To Make Money Online. Handmade and simple jewelry made the list of the most profitable niches for affiliate marketing in 2020.
Editor’s Note: The original post was updated on 31/10/2019 for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
By Tami Ben-David, Payoneer
If you’re serious about learning how to make ...
If you live in a large apartment complex, hav...
Merch By Amazon is in high demand and other s...
There are many reasons why the conventional e...
Start a fly fishing gear blog to cast a line ...