Elements And Sample Of A Judgment Proof Letter
Inform Your Creditors You Cannot Pay Your Debts!
This sample can be used as a guide to draft your own judgment proof letter informing your creditors that you cannot pay your debts.
Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate; therefore, this post may contain affiliate links for me to earn a commission. RuralMoney.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
This will impact your credit rating and can make it difficult to rent an apartment or secure a loan.
Judgment proof is when your property is “exempt” from collection.
It cannot be garnished or otherwise taken by your creditors to pay a court judgment.
Generally, you are considered judgment proof if you receive government benefits like SSI, SSDI, State Disability, or welfare, have limited personal property and own no Real Estate or have limited equity in such property.RuralMoney.com
However, if you owe money to the federal government, such as from a US backed student loan or federal income taxes, the government CAN and will garnish your Social Security benefits.
Elements Of A Judgment Proof Letter
- Make sure your name, address, account number and the date appear on your letter.
- Make sure you state you are exercising your rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Include a sentence or two describing why you are judgment-proof – For example: “I am judgment proof because I am living only on Social Security benefits, own limited exempt property, and cannot meet current expenses.”
- Mail your letter to the correct address. THIS IS OFTEN DIFFERENT THAN THE ADDRESS YOU MAIL YOUR PAYMENTS TO. The address for ‘correspondence’ is likely in very small print on the back of your monthly statement.
- Keep a copy of each letter you send for your files.
- Be patient. It can take a few weeks or months for your letter to be processed and for telephone calls from your creditors to stop.
- BE AWARE THAT THE CREDITOR MAY SELL THE DEBT TO A COLLECTION AGENCY. Which means the collection agency may start calling or writing to you. Remember, being judgment proof does not discharge your debts. Only filing for bankruptcy will do that. It means that your assets and income cannot be garnished or collected, even if the creditor gets a court judgment. The above process will need to be repeated for the collection agency.
Sample Of A Judgment Proof Letter
[Name and Address of Collection Agency or Creditor]
Re: [Your Name and Account Number]
Dear [Name of Collection Agency or Creditor]
This letter is to advise you that due to my serious medical problems and my inability to continue regular employment, I am unable to continue to make payments on my account.
I have been diagnosed with a serious chronic illness and cannot work sufficient hours (or at all) to meet my current expenses [State your reduced hours and/or sources of income such as SSI, disability or General Assistance].
I am familiar with [Your state] law and know that I am “judgment proof.”
If I file for bankruptcy, I will claim all my limited property as exempt.
If you sue me and obtain a judgment, you will not be legally allowed to collect on any of my income or property to satisfy the judgment.
Please cease all collection activities you have taken or are considering taking against me.
While I will provide you with reasonable financial or medical information, I must avoid stress as it greatly impacts my health.
This includes high-pressure collection activity and lawsuits.
If my current situation improves and I am able to resume payments, I will tell you.
In the meantime, please cancel my credit privileges.
Thank you for your assistance and understanding.
[Your name and address]
Rural Money Tip: Laws and legal procedures are subject to frequent change and differing interpretations.
You should seek the counsel of an attorney to receive legal advice to your situation.
Not many people know that there is a Social S...
This Hardest Hit Fund post has been announcin...
Recently, the Alteryx data leak exposed infor...
If you're looking at ways to boost rural foot...
It's important to look at the best ways of be...